Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Eric's new toys

What does every farm need?  A tractor, of course, and Silver Hill Farm is no different.  We are now the proud owners of two separate tractors with a total of six wheels.  Funny you say?  Let us start with something that is most recognizable.  John Deere tractors are iconic and the color scheme unmistakeable.  A little over a week ago our hand-me-down Cub Cadet started to circle the drain.  I thought that I had things figured out with some fiddling and a big drink of oil.  A few days after that, the PTO wet the bed and that was it.  I believe that tractor was over fifteen years old and it probably did not owe us a thing.  Enter the John Deere.  We obviously needed a new lawn tractor and I obviously chose the green and yellow.  Behold the X300.
 
 
While the X300 does and admirable job of mowing the grass, I was still looking for something with a bit more versatility.  The Grillo 85D fit that bill.  Comprising the other two wheels of our arsenal, the Grillo is a 10hp two wheeled walking tractor.  Many implements are available and ours is currently equipped with a rotary tiller. 

 
The Grillo and I made short work of putting the garden in today.  We are a bit behind in our timing of the garden but the powerful tiller allowed me to turn grass into garden in an afternoon.  Some organic vegetable starts from Killdeer Farm are already in the ground and there is more to come.  Here is hoping for another good garden year here in Vermont and for our first at Silver Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment