Thursday, July 24, 2014

In the Long Run


After the umpteenth thunderstorm induced communication interrupting power outage, we are back in business.

The big news is that the VT100 is in the bag.  Teresa and I finished our 100K on Saturday into Sunday in a bit over 17 hours.  Our time out on the roads and trails of central Vermont left plenty of time to talk.  One of the things that I was telling Teresa was how, on the starting line of my first marathon in Philadelphia, I thought to myself that I was, "in for a long run."  I now stand corrected...100K is a long run.  After seeing the 100 milers and hearing about those who were out for almost 30 hours, that is a really long run.  We did pretty darn well for ourselves, though.  Considering a relative lack of training, I think that we can be satisfied that we achieved our goal of finishing.  Teresa can be especially proud with a solid ultra marathon debut.  We were both thankful for absolutely perfect conditions and a beautiful course.  It continues to amaze me that this type of an event occurs almost quite literally in our backyard.  I can't say enough about how well organized the event was and we are now looking forward to joining the great volunteers of the VT100 for many years to come.

A post on the blog would not be complete if we didn't mention some type of animal.  The farm report is as follows:  chickens are laying eggs, turkeys are still stinking the place up.  The injured turkey is mounting a strong recovery and is no longer separated from the others.  The goats are back to their normal selves after a rocky start to the week.  We noticed that Abby was acting a bit dazed and was having coordination issues on Monday evening.  I dove into my many goat books to make a diagnosis.  The excellent  book on goat veterinary medicine from our friends Bob and Missy via my parents had me convinced of goat polio.  Polio in goats is a potentially deadly but reversible neurologic disorder caused by a thiamine deficiency.  Some ferns in the "back 40" were the likely culprit.  Our vet was able to make a visit on Tuesday and we have been treating her for a variety of issues until a more definitive diagnosis can be made.  Thankfully, she was looking back to her normal self on Wednesday morning and she continues to do well.

There is a "surprise" weekend getaway in the works to which I am blinded.  Updates to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment